I have disabled all firewalls (remote and host), removed all recently installed programs (AVG antivirus, Mail Warrior, Mozilla Firefox) for both remote and host, connected via wire, and now am surfing to try to duplicate my problem.
I use my disabled firewall to monitor traffic on the host. I se that ports 83 and 85 (proxy ports) are being routed through the app Webcast Proxy Server.
I thought that I recalled 83/85 going through a server other than Webcast.
Is webcast the correct server for 83/85 web surfing?
I finally got around to doing the following, which finally put me back on line without interruptions:
I reinstalled DW software, but then all hell broke loose, i.e. I had zero connection to i-net. I got GC tech support on the horn, and we uninstallled, rebooted, reinstalled, and re authenticated until we were both too sleepy to continue. I told them I would pick it up in one week after I returned home from business trip. WShen we quit, I had connection on host, but not on LAN.
Since returning, disabling firewalls (which I also did during the fix-a-thon one week earlier), I finally got all up and running.
Something unsavory was going on with my host computer. Unfortunately, wxactly what was not identified. We just broke theu it by brute force repeated installs until the machine gave up and went online.
The problem resurfaced. I have now reformastted host disk and reloaded XPpro. Still have problem.
I add NIC, on the possibly that the motherboard ethernet adaptor was flaky - no help. At least removing the computer gave me an excuse to tidy up the rats nest of wires, cables, and cords. I also turned the computer around 180 degrees so that I now stare at the business end.
I think the thing that got me back on line (fingers crossed) was to disable windows FW/ICS service on the laptop.
At least I have my fingers crossed.
This has been a nightmare, and has gone on so long that I forget the sequence of things I did. Now I wish I had kept a log.